The working and contractual conditions of FRA staff are based on the Staff Regulations (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities (CEOS).
The Agency has no permanent officials, but is staffed mainly by Temporary Agents and Contract Agents recruited through open selection procedures.
FRA contracts for Temporary Agents have an indefinite duration, following a probationary period of nine months.
Temporary Agent posts are classified according to the nature and importance of the duties required in:
- Administrators' function group (AD): comprises twelve grades from AD 5 to AD 16 corresponding to technical, administrative, advisory, linguistic and scientific duties
- Assistants' function group (AST): comprises eleven grades from AST 1 to AST 11 corresponding to executive, technical and clerical duties
The duration of contracts for Contract Agents varies according to the needs of the Agency. At the FRA, most Contract Agents have a contract’s duration of 2 years. The contract can be renewed for a second fixed-term period of 3 years, and upon its second renewal converted into a contract of indefinite duration.
Contract Agent posts are classified in four function groups corresponding to the duties and responsibilities involved:
- Function group IV: comprises six grades corresponding to administrative, advisory, linguistic and equivalent technical tasks
- Function group III: comprises five grades corresponding to executive tasks, drafting, accountancy and other equivalent technical tasks
- Function group II: comprises four grades corresponding to clerical and secretarial tasks, office management and other equivalent tasks
- Function group I: comprises three grades corresponding to manual and administrative support service tasks
Contract Agents whose contract is concluded for a duration of at least one year are required to serve the following probationary periods:
- 6 months if employed in function group I
- 9 months if employed in function group II-IV
If the duration of the contract is less than twelve months, Contract Agents may be exempted from the requirement to serve a probationary period.