To do this, the FRA performs the following main tasks:
- collecting and analysing information and data;
- providing assistance and expertise;
- communicating and raising rights awareness.
FRA’s tasks are carried out in consultation and cooperation with its partners. This allows the agency to:
- define its areas of work to ensure that its research responds to specific gaps and needs in the fundamental rights field;
- share expertise, coordinate research on different areas and work together to communicate its advice to the EU and its Member States. In this way, the FRA can create synergies, make the most of its resources, and support other bodies by delivering clear opinions on how to improve fundamental rights protection;
- ensure that its advice and research reaches policy makers at the right levels of government and EU institutions;
- develop communication, multimedia and information resources based on a FRA Stakeholder Communication Framework Strategy in order to raise awareness and bring knowledge of fundamental rights to specific target groups and to the European citizen in general.
The FRA maintains particularly close links with:
- the European Commission, the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union;
- other international organisations, such as the Council of Europe, the United Nations (UN) and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE);
- governments, civil society organisations, academic institutions, equality bodies and National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs).
FRA’s activities are based on the FRA strategic plan. The 2013-2017 strategic plan serves as a basis for FRA’s activities each year during this period. It was developed drawing on input from consultations with a wide range of stakeholders. During 2014, the plan was finetuned to address the Management Board comments made during its formal adoption in December 2013.
A mid-term review of the FRA Strategic plan 2013-2017 was carried out in 2015 and adopted by the Management Board during the meeting held in December 2015.