The event brought together members of the CIVEX Commission of the CoR, regional and local authorities, as well as representatives from other EU institutions and bodies.
This year's meeting focused on:
- Exploring the contribution of local and regional authorities in facilitating access to rights for irregular migrants;
- Sharing knowledge on existing promising practices at local and regional level;
- Discussing the opportunities for action at European and Member State levels;
- Discussing the need for horizontal and vertical coordination between the various levels.
Conclusions from the Annual Dialogue will feed into the discussion at the 'Fundamental Rights Conference 2011 - Dignity and rights of irregular migrants' - the Agency's flagship annual event, organised in cooperation with the Polish Presidency of the Council of the EU. The conference will take place on 21-22 November in Warsaw.
- Luc Van den Brande, chair of the CIVEX Commission, Committee of the Regions
- Morten Kjaerum, Director of the FRA
- Stefano Manservisi, Director General for Home Affairs, European Commission
- Representatives of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe
- and several European cities.
The FRA's cooperation with the CoR serves to engage all levels of governance in the protection and promotion of fundamental rights and to sensitise local and regional authorities throughout the EU to fundamental rights issues.