- Send with Email
- Share to Google
- Share to del.icio.us
- Share to Stumbleupon
- Share to Facebook
- Share to Twitter
The FRC is the flagship event of the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA), organised with the support of the Polish Presidency of the Council of the European Union.
The conference is focussed around the findings of the EU Agency for Fundamental Rights' (FRA) EU-wide research on the situation of irregular migrants. Several FRA reports on this topic indicate that the lack of a legally-recognised status makes irregular migrants vulnerable to severe fundamental rights violations. These include:
- exploitation in the workplace,
- lack of access to basic services, and
- barriers to accessing justice.
The conference provides a forum for participants to explore key legal and practical challenges and to develop solutions.
Monday 21 November from 11.00-11.30 (at the conference venue)
Possibility for interviews with:
Morten Kjaerum, FRA Director
Adriano Silvestri, FRA Programme Manager
The event brings together around 300 policy makers, practitioners and experts from across the EU, including representatives from EU institutions and bodies, intergovernmental organisations, national governments, national human rights institutions and equality bodies, social partners and civil society organisations.
Keynote speakers include:
- Grażyna Bernatowicz, Undersecretary of State, Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Belinda Pyke, Director - Migration and Borders, DG Home Affairs, European Commission
- Claude Moraes, Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs (LIBE), European Parliament
- Kyung-wha Kang, Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights, United Nations (UN)
- Morten Kjaerum, FRA Director
The entire conference will be open to the press.
The conference will take place on 21-22 November 2011 at the Copernicus Science Centre, Warsaw/Poland (Wybrzeze Kosciuszkowskie 20).
More information and the programme of the conference are available at: http://fra.europa.eu/fraWebsite/frc2011/
For further information please contact:
FRA Media Team
Tel.: +43 158 030 642
FRA contact at the conference:
Waltraud Heller, +43 664 88581512
Media contacts polish presidency:
Tel. +48 728410087, +4822523 8995