In this intricate and networked system, all levels contribute to the overall improvement of fundamental rights.
The tables and figures in this section focus on a number of core international obligations that the EU and its Member States have taken on, by looking at their formal acceptance of international human rights instruments, as well as the results of the international- and national-level monitoring linked to these instruments.
The tables and figures cover the following:
All links below will open in a new tab or window.
- Acceptance of selected Council of Europe conventions
- Acceptance of European Social Charter provisions
- Conformity of national law and practice with European Social Charter provisions
- Applications allocated to a judicial formation (ECtHR) per 10,000 inhabitants
- Number of cases pending before ECtHR judicial formations
- Number of ECtHR judgments finding a violation
- Number of leading pending cases with average execution time of more than five years
- Acceptance of selected UN conventions
- UN conventions with individual complaint mechanisms and number of cases
- Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
For more information about the status of ratification of UN Human Rights treaties, see the Interactive Dashboard page of the Office of the High Commission for Human Rights.