The Management Board brings together people with experience in the management of public or private sector organisations and knowledge in the field of fundamental rights from the Member States, the European Commission and the Council of Europe.
It is composed of:
- one independent person appointed by each of the 28 Member States of the EU
- one independent person appointed by the Council of Europe
- two representatives of the Commission.
Each member may be assisted by an alternate member who is selected according to the same procedure.
The Management Board elects a Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson as well as two members of the Executive Board for a two-and-a-half year term. The term may be renewed once.
On 12 July 2015, the term of office of 14 Members and alternate Members of the FRA Management Board ended after 5 years. New Members and alternate Members have been appointed. The updated list of Management Board Members and alternate Members can be found here.
The elections of a new Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and two new Executive Board members took place in December 2014. The Management Board elected Frauke Lisa Seidensticker as its new Chairperson and Manfred Nowak as Vice-Chairperson.
The Management Board is responsible for the definition of the Agency's priorities, the establishment of the budget and for monitoring the Agency's operation. In particular, the Management Board:
- adopts the agency's annual work programme in accordance with the Multiannual Framework;
- adopts the agency's annual reports;
- appoints (and if necessary dismisses) the Agency's director;
- adopts the agency's annual draft and final budgets and the financial rules applicable to the agency;
- appoints and revokes the members of the Scientific committee.