Most points in this FRA Opinion relate to risks to fundamental rights which may result from the implementation of the regulation.
This opinion mainly focuses on the processing of biometric data in identity cards issued by EU Member States to their own nationals and residence cards issued to thirdcountry family members of EU nationals exercising free movement rights.
FRA hereby present six individual opinions addressing the following points:
- Avoiding that biometrics are also stored in national databases;
- Ensuring a fundamental rights compliant implementation;
- Processing the minimum necessary biometric data;
- Respecting human dignity when collecting biometric data;
- Collecting biometric data from children;
- Collecting biometric data from elderly and persons with disabilities.