How EU Framework members monitor the CRPD
The European Parliament monitors the application of EU law through implementation reports, human rights reports, oral questions, studies and implementation assessments.
- the Committee on Employment and Social Affairs (EMPL) is responsible for all aspects of social policy and for discrimination based on disability at the workplace and in the labour market;
- the Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs (LIBE) is responsible for the protection within the territory of the EU of citizens' rights, human rights and fundamental rights as well as for measures needed to fight all forms of discrimination, including based on disability, other than those based on sex or occurring at the workplace and in the labour market;
- the Bureau Working Group on Equality and Diversity supervises the administrative measures to implement the CRPD in the Parliament's General Secretariat.
The European Ombudsman:
- proactively monitors the activities of the EU administration through strategic inquiries and initiatives. She has conducted such an inquiry into respect of fundamental rights in the EU's 'cohesion' policy, including the use of funds for the institutionalisation of persons with disabilities. The Ombudsman has also written to the European Commission on the accessibility for persons with disabilities of the websites and online tools it manages and about the integration of children with disabilities in the European Schools.
The EU Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA):
- collects reliable, objective and comparable data across the EU and provides independent analysis;
- reports on developments in the implementation of the CRPD in its Fundamental Rights Report;
- develops human rights indicators to assess the implementation of those rights, e.g. in projects on the political participation of persons with disabilities and the right to independent living’.
The European Disability Forum (EDF):
- monitors EU legislation for compliance with the UN Convention and receives complaints on its implementation;
- prepared an alternative report and answers to the list of issues for the examination of the EU's implementation of the CRPD by the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in 2015. EDF and its members were present in Geneva to present their concerns to the CRPD Committee.